RIHousing – Design & Construction Specialist
Salary – $64,264.25 – $92,994.15
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for ensuring that all development financed through the Rental Production and Preservation Programs, or other assigned programs are designed and constructed in accordance with all local, state, and national building codes as well as the design requirements established by RIHousing.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
· Review architectural drawings and design specifications of assigned development proposals to ensure that they meet RIHousing guidelines and code/zoning requirements.
· Evaluate and approve preliminary and final construction cost estimates, contractual agreements, and related loan documents to ensure that quality construction is provided at a reasonable price and in compliance with RIHousing guidelines.
· Conduct site inspections, prepare site reports, and monitor requisitions and change orders to ensure the appropriate expenditure of funds and that work is proceeding according to approved plans and specifications.
· Provide technical assistance to other departments and perform special duties as assigned.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position reviews and approves architectural drawings and specifications for all assigned development proposals to ensure that they meet code/standards and/or zoning requirements. The incumbent also evaluates and approves detailed construction cost estimates to ensure that quality construction is being provided at a reasonable and fair market cost. At any given time, the incumbent works on 15 proposals with an average total development cost of between $1,000,000 and $10,000,000, including Loan Servicing requests for oversight of replacement reserve funded repairs.
Once a development is approved for funding, this position reviews periodic requests for loan disbursements to ensure that monthly requisitions are being funded according to percentage of work completed and /or services rendered. This includes conducting site inspections and approving construction progress and change orders, collecting lien waivers, affidavits and evaluating all affirmative action reports and prevailing wage data, as needed. In addition, he/she coordinates construction closeout including punch lists, final inspections, receipt of environmental clearances, Certificates of Occupancy and Permission to Occupy forms.
Incumbent attends construction meetings and prepares Housing Quality Standards (HQS) reports to ensure that the development is being constructed according to the architectural drawings and specifications approved by RIHousing. He/she also reviews and approves all contractual agreements entered into by the owner to ensure that they are in accordance with RIHousing’s guidelines and cost limits.
Throughout the construction process, this position reviews contractual field orders and change orders to ensure that modifications to the original scope of work are both necessary and can be provided within the development’s budget. In this regard, incumbent works closely with the sponsor, which is often a non-profit entity, and he/she provides technical assistance as needed.
Incumbent provides technical assistance to other departments on a variety of design/construction issues and performs special projects as assigned.
What you’ll need to succeed:
· Associate’s degree in architecture, civil engineering, or related field (Bachelor’s degree preferred) or equivalent work experience
· Minimum three years of construction industry experience with demonstrated knowledge of construction management including methods, techniques, specifications, materials, and equipment
· Must be able to read and interpret design drawings and specifications for all types of housing
· Familiarity with code and regulatory requirements, AIA documents, and basic mortgage lending principles and procedures
· Working knowledge of construction cost estimating and accounting
· Strong analytical, communications, technical report writing, computer and organizational skills
· Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required
· Mission Driven Organization
· Dedicated Workforce
· Competitive salary
· Parking Stipend
· Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
· Paid Time Off
· Retirement Options
· Flexible Work Hours
· If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
· Education Reimbursement
· Onsite Fitness Classes
· Volunteer Days
· Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021,2022
· Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
· Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
· Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
· Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
· Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
· Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education, and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island’s housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Tagged as: architecture, civil engineering, construction, construction management