POSITION TITLE: Carpenter
REPORTS TO: Lead Carpenter
Constructs, erects, installs and remodels residential structures and fixtures made of
wood, such as building concrete forms, erecting scaffolding, installing interior and
exterior trim, building framing walls and partitions, installing doors and windows,
building stairs, laying hardwood floors, hanging kitchen cabinets, etc. in compliance
with local building codes and architectural plans.
1. Cuts, fits and assembles wood and other material for the construction and
remodeling of residential homes to Davitt Design Build quality standards.
2. Prepare layouts from blueprints and instructions from the Lead Carpenter
including measuring, marking and arranging materials.
3. Determines dimensions and materials required and provides estimates of
material requirements to Lead Carpenter.
4. Cuts and shapes wood, plastic fiberglass and drywall using hand and power
tools, such as chisels, planes, saws drills and sanders.
5. Joins materials with nails, screws, staples and adhesives.
6. Checks accuracy of work with levels, rules, plumb bob and framing squares
and makes any necessary adjustments.
7. Builds and repairs cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors and other wooden
fixtures using in residential homes using woodworking machines, carpenter’s
hand tools and power tools.
8. Protects floors and fixtures from damage during construction activities with
building paper or plastic as appropriate.
9. May be required to finish surfaces of woodwork and wallboard using paint,
hand tools, etc.
10. Follows established safety rules and regulations and maintains a safe and
11. Inspects ceiling and floor tiles, wall coverings, siding, glass and woodwork to
detect broken or damaged structures and brings to the attention of the Lead
12. Accepts deliveries including inspecting first for material damage and
13. Installs structures and fixtures, such as windows, frames, floorings and trim
and hardware using carpenter’s hand and power tools.
14.Removes damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repairs or
replaces using power and hand tools.
15. May be required to supervise the daily job site activities when the Lead
Carpenter is off-site.
16. Assists in tracking materials on job site(s) and coordinating the timely return
of any unused materials for credit.
17. Assists in requisitioning supplies and materials to complete construction
18. May be required to review subcontractor scopes of work.
19. May deliver messages from clients and subcontractors to the Lead Carpenter.
20.Keeps current with regulatory and industry changes affecting both the type
and installation of needed materials, including standards for buildings and
construction materials, workers safety, energy efficiency and environmental
1. Timely, accurate and quality completion of work assignments.
2. Effective working relationships with other carpenters, subcontractors and, as
3. Timely arrival to site.
4. Maintain personal tools.
TYPICAL REQUIREMENTS (MINIMUM):
1. High School Diploma including courses in carpentry, shop, mechanical
drawing and general mathematics or the equivalent.
2. Five years of hands on experience in residential construction.
1. Demonstrated working technical knowledge of residential remodeling
and new construction methods, material, tools and regulations.
2. Ability to be flexible and handle multiple tasks under tight timelines.
3. Demonstrated knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles
involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints and
4. Good interpersonal skills.
5. Strong attention to detail.
6. Ability to coordinate several activities at once, while analyzing and
resolving specific problems.
7. Ability to read blue prints.
8. Good communication skills.
9. Ability to solve arithmetic problems quickly and accurately.
10. Ability to perform physical work which is sometimes strenuous and
under uncomfortable ambient conditions.
11. Excellent manual dexterity, eye-hand coordination, physical fitness
and a good sense of balance.
12. Ambition for producing quality work.
Tagged as: carpentry, construction