Supervises and assists Construction Specialists working on various Policy projects to ensure that all developments financed through the Policy or other assigned programs are designed and constructed in accordance with all local, state and national building codes and/or zoning requirements as well as the design requirements established by Rhode Island Housing.
Rhode Island Housing works to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a safe, healthy home that meets their needs. Our belief is that a home encompasses much more than four walls and a roof.
Assists Construction Specialists in the review and approval of architectural drawings and specifications for all Policy development proposals to ensure that they meet code/standards.
Evaluates and approves project construction cost estimates to ensure that quality construction is being provided at a reasonable and fair market cost.
· Once approved for funding, assigns the development to a Construction Specialist for project management.
· Reviews periodic requests for loan disbursements to ensure that monthly requisitions are being funded according to percentage of work completed and/or services rendered by conducting site inspections, reviewing monthly payout summaries and reports, and evaluating all affirmative action reports and prevailing wage data.
· Attends construction meetings as needed and reviews Housing Quality Standard (HQS) reports prepared by Construction and Compliance Specialists to ensure that developments are being constructed and maintained according to the architectural drawings, specifications and code approved by Rhode Island Housing.
· Reviews and approves all contractual agreements entered into by owners to ensure that they are in accordance with Rhode Island Housing’s guidelines and cost limits.
· Throughout construction, reviews contractual field orders and changes orders to ensure that modifications to the original scope of work are both necessary and can be provided within the development’s budget.
· Provides technical assistance to other departments on a variety of design/construction issues and performs special projects as assigned.
· Reviews architectural drawings and design specifications of assigned development proposals to ensure that they meet Rhode Island Housing’s guidelines and code/zoning requirements.
· Evaluates and approves preliminary and final construction cost estimates, contractual agreements and related loan documents to ensure that quality construction is provided at a reasonable price and in compliance with Rhode Island Housing guidelines.
· Conducts site inspections, reviews site reports and evaluates requisitions and change orders to ensure the appropriate expenditure of funds and that work is proceeding according to approved plans and specifications.
· Provides supervision and training for the Construction and Compliance Specialists to ensure the quality of construction and maintenance of housing units.
· Provides technical assistance to other departments and performs special projects as assigned.
· Minimum ten years of construction industry experience with demonstrated knowledge of construction management;
including methods, techniques, specifications, materials and equipment
· Ability to read and interpret design drawings and specifications for all types of housing; familiarity with code and regulatory requirements, AIA documents, and basic mortgage lending principles and procedures
· Working knowledge of construction cost estimating and accounting
· Strong analytical, communications, technical report writing, computer and organizational skills;
· Associates degree in architecture, civil engineering or related field (Bachelors preferred).
· Previous experience supervising construction personnel.
· Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required.
Rhode Island Housing is an EEO/AA employer.